Latest  2014  2013  2012  2011  2010  2009  2008  2007  2006  2005  2004  2003  2002  2001

This personal blog comprises whatever I feel like saying on any given day, which often involves topics like new media, journalism, Web technologies, Racket/Scheme/Lisp, Free and open source software, societal issues, cinema film, Boston, frugality, and humor. Many things noted here are solely for the benefit of future Web searchers trying to solve particular esoteric problems, and are not of general interest. This blog is largely insulated from my professional life, and vice-versa. I attempt to provide full disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. Last time I checked analytics, my site was getting over 1000 unique visitors a day.

Indiegogo for Ottawa Linux Symposium

An early Linux community/industry organizer, Andrew Hutton, is doing an Indiegogo fundraiser related to Ottawa Linux Symposium (OLS).

Long-time Linux insiders might recall OLS as a key get-together. Unfortunately, it seems that OLS ran into financial trouble. Andrew doesn't get into the reasons on the Indiegogo page, but from the bits I've heard from people, it sounds like it wasn't his fault. I understand that his house is in the balance.

If you're a GNU/Linux person, or have the ear of people who are, please broadcast the Indiegogo link.

For the companies that sponsored and benefitted from OLS in the past, even if you're committed to a different conference now, making an Indiegogo contribution would be a great gesture.

Net Neutrality

This video by Vihart is a great way to explain to non-techies what Net Neutrality is, and why it's so important:

Vihart, "Net Neutrality in the US: Now What?," YouTube video, 2014-50-07

Yes, it's long (11 minutes), but it's well done.

2001 and 2010

 [composite image of 2010 film promotional image and great white shark] The other day, I made a "monolith" reference, and then realized that I don't recall much of the films 2001 and 2010, so I rented these films from the library, and watched them in order.

2001 should be watched because it was so significant. However, I had to watch many plodding parts at 1.5x to 10x speed. I think a lot of the problem was that it was filmed in the 1960s, when spaceflight and computers were in the public imagination, which could explain why we were treated to numerous glacially-paced tangents on the wonder of this-or-that of the imminent future. Although Kubrick's primate scenes at the beginning also seem slow; so perhaps that's because the ideas are more familiar now, or because we have shorter attention spans, or simply because it's Kubrick.

2010, on the other hand, was a very different film, not as navel-gazing, but message-heavy on the Cold War situation of the time, with a little fashionable environmentalism thrown in. Rather than playing the Heywood Floyd from 2001 only nine years later, Roy Scheider's version is all "We're gonna need a bigger boat." And when the Russian crew is handling a situation, he's repeatedly Jack Ryan know-it-all backseat driver -- in this case, perhaps oddly sending a message of cowboy American superiority over the Russians at the same time that the film's ostensible message is that we can all get along. Which leads us to one interesting thing about this film: had I screened 2010 in the year 2010, I might've said something like, "Ha. In 1984, the filmmakers thought that the Cold War would still be going on in 2010, and that there would escalating conflict over some border incursion. Kinda dated." Watching at the end of April 2014, however, my thinking was more like, "OK, that's not funny." Also, the film depicts the Americans being dependent on Russian spacecraft. cough, cough It's still an eye-roller of a film.

Earlier to... 2014-04-23

© Copyright Neil Van Dyke      Contact